• Social Insurance Number, also caled SIN, is a government documentation that allows foreign worker to work legally in Canada. If you have a work or study permit, you may be eligible to apply for SIN.
  • You should apply in-person at a Service Canada point of service.
  • Service Canada has made it easy and secure for you to apply for a Social Insurance Number or to amend
    your SIN record. When applying in-person, you do not have to complete an application form nor do you have
    to mail your original proof-of-identity documents. Follow the 2 steps below:
  • Step 1 - Gather the original proof-of-identity documents required
    • Temporary Residents of Canada need to provide one of the following original documents:
      • - Work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC);
      • - Study permit issued by CIC . International students must present either:
        • ○ a study permit that indicates the permit holder “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada; or
        • ○ a study permit and a “confirmation to work off campus” letter issued by CIC prior to February 6, 2015.
      • - Visitor record issued by CIC, indicating you are authorized to work in Canada; or
      • - Diplomatic identity card and note of permission of employment issued by Foreign Affairs, Trade, and Development Canada.
    • If neither of these requirements is met, you may contact CIC to verify if you are eligible to apply
      for an amended study permit.
  • Step 2 - Take documents to the nearest Service Canada location