There are many different ways to renew your student visa. However, we will only show you the most common and convenient way to do so.
Before you come to Canada, you get your visa first, then you will obtain your study permit in the immigration office at the airport. However, while you are staying in Canada, your student visa will be renewed or applied after your study permit. Fortunately, you may be able to renew both of them at the same time.
Keep in mind that as soon as you hold a valid study or work permit, you are legal to stay in Canada without a visa, but you will need a visa when you want to enter the country. It always best to have them both.
- Currently an international student in one of the designed institutions in Canada.
- Enrolment letter (request from your college or university).
- This will take several date, so make sure to order it in advance.
- Financial statement (bank statement from 3 to 6 months)
- IMMxxxx application form (you will be given the form to fill out when you apply online)
- Explanation letter (if necessary)
- A credit card to pay for the application fee online (it is around $150 per application)
Create an account to hold your application
- Click here to create it.
- You can either login via your bank account or create a new account through GCKey.
- It is important to make sure that you remember your login ID, password, and security questions because it will not be easy to recover your password once you forget it.
- The website is used by millions of people, so there are a lot of traffic. When the traffic is high, it may display an error webpage or push you back to the cic home page after you login. You just need to try it again until you are able to get into your account main page.
- Click here to create it.
Determine your eligibility
- After login successfully, click on the button as the one below:
- Roll down, under "Determine your eligibility and apply only", click on the similar button as the above to answer a series of questions.
- When you are asked for your nationality, it is Vietnamese
- When you are asked for your country of residence, it is Canada.
Submit required documents
- Depending on your answer, the system will then give you one or more available types of application(s) that you can apply for.
- Pick the one that you desire, and you will be given a list of required documents in order to submit your application.
- Follow its instruction.
- When filling IMMxxxx application form:
- "Document Number" start with a letter, U or F, following by 9 digits which can be found at the top right corner of your permits.
- Click here to check the application processing time.
Mailing your passport
- Once approved, you will have to send your passport to Ottawa to get the final decision, and they will also add the new visa onto your passport.
Note: the information provided above is just a brief summary of important points. Therefore, if you want to know more in detail, please refer to the Canada Immigration and Citizenship website at www.cic.gc.ca/.