If you know that you have passed all of the exams, and going to graduate, you should prepare to apply for a post graduate work permit because you only have 3 months to apply for it. Therefore, if you apply early, you can avoid traffics, and also if there is anything wrong, you can update or resubmit your application.
Note: if your program is 2 years or more, you will get 3-year work permit.
- Final Transcript (you can pick it up from your school’s international center; it is usually available in the last week of May if winter is your last semester).
- Financial statement (bank statement from 3 to 6 months)
- IMMxxxx application form (you will be given the form to fill out when you apply online)
- A credit card to pay for the application fee online (it is around $150 per application)
Create an account to hold your application if you don’t already have one
- Click here to create it.
- You can either login via your bank account or create a new account through GCKey.
- It is important to make sure that you remember your login ID, password, and security questions because it will not be easy to recover your password once you forget it.
- The website is used by millions of people, so there are a lot of traffic. When the traffic is high, it may display an error webpage or push you back to the cic home page after you login. You just need to try it again until you are able to get into your account main page.
- Click here to create it.
Determine your eligibility
- After login successfully, click on the button as the one below:
- Roll down, under “Determine your eligibility and apply only”, click on the similar button as the above to answer a series of questions.
- When you are asked for your nationality, it is Vietnamese
- When you are asked for your country of residence, it is Canada.
Submit required documents
- Depending on your answer, the system will then give you one or more available types of application(s) that you can apply for.
- Pick the one that you desire, and you will be given a list of required documents in order to submit your application.
- Follow its instruction.
- When filling IMMxxxx application form:
- “Document Number” start with a letter, U or F, following by 9 digits which can be found at the top right corner of your permits.
- Click here to check the application processing time.
- Once approved, you will receive your work permit.
- After that, you can redo the process to apply for your worker visa. When you get approval, you have to send your passport to Ottawa, and they will also add the new visa onto your passport.
Note: the information provided above is just a brief summary of important points. Therefore, if you want to know more in detail, please refer to the Canada Immigration and Citizenship website at www.cic.gc.ca/.